The library has the following databases. Using our catalog you can log on once and visit them all! Below is a description of the database and any additional information that you may need. If you need help using any of these resources, be sure to call (641-257-6319), visit or email the library.
- Academic OneFile- The premier source for peer-reviewed articles covering all academic disciplines.
Ancestry Library Edition-
Search your family history (This database is for in-library use only). Although similar in many ways to the personal Ancestry membership available to purchase this library edition is missing some of the bells and whistles such as saving your family tree. You may access it from this page only if you are in the library.
- Books & Authors- Lively reviews and recommendations for new books for your reading entertainment.
- Bridges (iowa's ebook library) Download digital audio books and E-books. Check out what we have or use your library card number to log in here. Visit this page to learn more about using Bridges.
- Business Insights Essentials- News, stats and reports provide in-depth coverage of companies and industries.
- Chilton's Auto Repair- A full line of automotive repair information for both the novice and the professional auto mechanic.
- Credo Reference Online- Full online resource for research and reference needs. Choose Charles City Public Library from the dropdown list then type in your library barcode number.
- Educator's Reference Complete- Journals and references covering child development, best practices and more.
- Freegal- Free and legal music downloads! Freegal users may download up to 3 songs per week and keep them forever. SInce they are DMR Free, you can transfer them to any computer, device or burn them to CDs. To access Freegal, you will need to go to the catalog and log in.
- Gale Resources- A plethora of information databases for your information needs.
- General OneFile- Millions of articles cover a full range of academic and general-interest topics.
- Health & Wellness Resource Center - with alternative health module included. Alternative-focused newspapers, directories, videos and references.
- Health Reference Center Academic- Find reliable information on fitness, pregnancy, nutrition and much more.
-Avaialbe outside of the library. Search your family history using federal census 1790- 1940, PERSI, books, Revolutionary War records and the Freedmans Index.
Available from the catalog or use your library card number to log in here (please include the p before the numbers on this one).
- Informe Academico (Spanish Language)- Una coleccion de revistas hispanicas con textos completos.
- InfoTrac NewsStand- Search full-text articles by headline, date, newspaper section and more.
- InfoTrac Student Edition (High School)- Supports high school research in core subjects, pop culture, sports and more.
- Kids InfoBits (K-5)- Appropriate K-5 content for learning and school activities, presented in a pleasing visual interface specifically designed for the young researcher.
- Learning Express- Learning Express offers tests and skill building exercises for elementary-aged children though those currently in college. Included are practice tests for the ACT, CLEP, SAT, PSAT, AP, GRE, LSAT, MCAT, GED and others. Work related tests such as those for law enforcement, nursing and civil service are also available. New users can create their own account through the catalog. Once you have an account set up, you may access Learning Express directly.
-Accurate answers to your medical questions. No Log in necessary.
One Click Digital - Downloadable audio books, many not available on Bridges. To use this resource you will need to set up an account with your library card number (don't need to include the p, just the numbers).
- Research in Context (Middle School)- An engaging cross-curricular resource created for middle school assignment and information research.
- Transparent Language/BYKI- Learn a new language! New users can create their own account through the catalog. Once you have an account set up, you may access Transparent Language from this page.
- WorldCat - the ultimate online library catalog
- Zinio- Our shared collection of digital magazines. To set up an account you will need your library card number (don't need to include the p, just the numbers).