Use the Genealogy Collection
Genealogy and Local History
The Library offers various resources for those interested in pursuing their genealogy or researching local history.
Ancestry.com –The largest genealogical database in the world. Ancestry.com is available for use in the Library.
Heritage Quest – Another excellent online genealogy source, Heritage Quest may be used both at home and at the library.(Use your library barcode to log in.)
Print and Microfilm Resources
- Charles City Newspapers (microfilm)1859-present. Great source for obituary searches.
- Bound Cemetery Records for most Floyd County cemeteries except Sunnyside.
- Census Records (microfilm) 1860-1925.
- Floyd County History Books; 1882 and 1917 plus others in the Reference section.
- Old Platte Books back to 1875
- First Census 1790 of New England states, also other sources in the Reference section.
Doing an obituary search?
You may choose to do your own obituary searches, using our genealogy tools listed above. If you want to do this, it is helpful to know the date of death, as close as possible. Past Charles City newspapers are on microfilm. There are instructions with our microfilm machine but staff may help you get started. You may print copies of obituaries you locate for 15 cents a page.
The library will do obituary searches for you. We charge $10.00 for each obituary. You may call the library with your request at 641-257-6319 or print and mail this form. We make no guarantee that we will be able to find the obituary you are seeking.